SVN volunteers are needed at this private school of more than 520 mostly Ethiopian children, ranging from Year 1 to Year 11. Year 12 is being added in August 2022. To offer IGCEs at the school, training of the Ethiopian teachers has begun but guidance would be appreciated. Help would also be appreciated in the area of behaviour management and developing good behaviour policies, especially with the Middle School Years 7 to 9.
This project took place from 18th September to 9th October, 2022 for 2 volunteers a teacher and a teaching assistant.
The Director of Reach International Centre of Education reported:-
Both SVN volunteers spent time watching and informally assessing teachers, especially at our secondary school. I understand that many teachers then asked for feedback and were asking for guidance on ways to do things better/differently. This was helpful for the teachers. They also provided training for all teachers which was appreciated. This was on areas that were especially identified through their observations.
They provided some valuable guidance for our special needs children and as a result we have decided to employ someone to help us develop this areas of the school.
They were especially helpful with our teachers who have started to teach IGCSE courses for the first time.
Overall the visit was beneficial because they brought their experiences from a UK system and allowed our teachers to see and consider alternatives to what they are used to doing.
Impact of the experience by the volunteers:-
- The project was a wonderful experience and has come away with a love for Ethiopia.
- There were many challenges, but all felt manageable.
- The hosts were good, enabling visits to attractions and attendance at festivals.
- Physically the overnight travelling was found to be tiring and the loss of sleep difficult. Ethiopian Airlines were excellent.
- There was time to maintain quiet times and Bible study in the evenings. The school itself had a spiritual atmosphere.
- Financially, it was acknowledged it was expensive, and grateful that half the cost of travel was reimbursed by SVN.
- Data roaming generated a hidden cost that had not been prepared for. This meant one had to be very careful with how remaining data was used.